Simon O’kanada, a father from Quebec, Canada was losing sleep because his baby boy kept getting sick. It wasn’t flu season and there hadn’t been a government announcement about any new viruses that targets children.
He simply couldn’t understand why his toddler kept getting ill. Going on a guess, the father decided to check on his son’s Tommee Tippee brand sippy cups. He broke open the sippy cup’s anti-spill guard and discovered something which made him disgusted and angry.
Shockingly, the inside of the product was full of mold!
Water, milk and other toddler’s beverages had kept passing through this gross grey mold, which began to accumulate between the cup and straw part.
The cup’s leak-proof anti-spill guard was designed to be sealed completely shut – which means no matter how many times you wash the whole cup, the inside couldn’t be cleaned.
According to O’kanada, he had called the company’s office to complain but was laughed at by the lady who answered the phone.
Feeling very angry at the situation, O’kanada’s problem was shared online by his friend, netizen Penny Powell.
Upon sharing the photos, many other concerned and horrified parents stepped forward and shared their own findings of mold build up in their children’s sippy cups.
Read the viral post here.
Here’s a rough translation of the viral post.
“My friend wondered why his son was still sick so he broke open the anti-spill guard of his Tommee Tippee glass and discovered mold inside the anti-spill top that does not wash that you can't see except if you break it open. He called the company and the lady on the other end laughed in his face. Several moms on the other group also found mold after my post about it in another group so I'm sharing with you. Those of you with these cups pay special attention, he has washed it with his hands and in the dishwasher, etc., and the mildew has stayed anyway! Share it!
After having received several messages from parents who have opened their children's anti-spill cup, it is important to do something, so for parents who discover that they have the same problem with the anti-spill top, please, I invite you to complain to consumer protection and also the customer service of the company described — thank you! Share in large numbers.”
Mold can be a potentially dangerous substance which if ingested can cause a variety of symptoms.
Some of these symptoms include shortness of breath, fatigue, headaches, immune system issues, gastrointestinal problems, and muscle and joint pains. In severe cases, mold can be fatal.
Tommee Tippee has since issued a public apology for the controversial issue and assured concerned arents they are looking for solutions.
The company has also offered to replace the ‘defective’ products with an alternative.
So remember parents: choose your baby products carefully and wisely.
What can you say about that issue? Tell us your opinions in the comment section! Remember to share this story on Facebook!