Just like every mother, Josefina woke up early to cook a healthy breakfast for her children instead of letting them buy junk food at school. She is a mother of two, Maria and Agustin. She prepared egg and ham tortillas with fresh orange juice for the two. The kids were getting late in school so they hurried and prepped up.
After a couple of hours, Josefina received a text from school. Her kids were both rushed to the hospital. Shocked by the news and unsure of what might’ve happened to the children, she immediately went to the hospital as well. Upon arriving, doctors informed her that her kids suffered from food poisoning and that, unfortunately, they couldn’t do anything about it.
The analysis results found out that the children acquired Salmonella which was in the breakfast prepared by Josefina. Salmonella is a type of bacterium that causes food poisoning, paratyphoid and typhoid fever.
The doctors then asked her what she was doing other than preparing the food, she answered she was using her cellphone as she was exchanging texts with her husband. From then, the doctors concluded that the bacterium came from the mobile that contaminated the homemade breakfast. They noted that phones are covered by germs which can be transmitted to food and may result to serious consequences if forgotten to wash our hands before meal.
The two children didn’t make it and Josefina was left devastated. Now, she’s using this horrendous experience to warn not just mothers, but all people, to be extra careful when preparing food.
What can you say about this incident? Did you find it heartbreaking? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.