Most ladies have a skin care regimen to make their face as spotless as possible. Some go to great measures just to hide a minor blemish.
Dana Sedgewick, a 44-year-old mom, routinely shaves her bikini line to keep it tidy. However, it almost cost her her life.
Dana used a new razor to shave her bikini line on May 2012. She then noticed a small pimple in the area that won’t stop bleeding.
“Like a lot of women, I tried to keep a tidy bikini line. So I had a quick trim with a new razor. I didn’t think anything of it as I often got a rash from shaving,” Dana said.
Two days after, she experienced dizziness and nausea which prompted her to visit the doctor. The medical practitioner took a swab sample of the infected area and gave Dana some medication to ease the symptoms.
However, later that same day, her eldest daughter Megan found Dana in bed with a bloody red rash covering her legs.
Dana’s doctor later confirmed that her legs were infected with a serious bacterial infection which needed to be examined further.
Before her husband Mathew could even take her to see her doctor, she collapsed and was forced to be brought to the hospital via ambulance. She was brought to the trauma unit at the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield, USA.
The woman was diagnosed with a condition that causes bacteria to release toxins that attack the soft tissue surrounding the affected area.
“By the time I got to the hospital, my legs were covered in black, rotting flesh. It was touch-and-go as to whether I’d make it,” she recalled.
Doctors operated on her legs for ten hours - until the worst happened. Dana developed sepsis, causing her kidneys to fail and her heart to stop 4 times.
The medical experts decided to put Dana under an induced coma for about 9 days to increase her chances of survival.
“When I woke up, my legs were covered in bandages and I had no idea what had happened. I thought I’d been in a car accident. But when the surgeon asked me if I remembered shaving, I suddenly recalled trimming my bikini line. He told me that the spot on my groin had become infected, and I’d been very lucky to survive,” added Dana.
She also recalled how she felt saying, “It was horrific. All of my muscle had rotted away, and I had a crater of skin near my groin. I felt like I was going to throw up. But I knew that it could have been much, much worse. I could easily have lost my legs – or worse, died.”
“It didn’t feel like my own body anymore. But with Mat’s support, I grew to see the scars as a reminder of how brave I’d been, and how lucky I was to survive.”
As of now, Dana has fully recovered.
We hope you could share this post with the important women in your lives in order to raise awareness on this type of disease. Don’t forget to share your comments below!