An unconscious homeless man from Mumbai, India was reportedly seen lying on the ground near a bus stop. Reports say he had been there for about six or seven days. Witnesses said that he was found with maggots growing out of his face. The man was identified as simply being named “Prakash.”
He was then brought to Lokmanya Tilak General Hospital. In the hospital, a doctor, specifically Chief Medical Officer Dr. Rohan Rohekar, declared Prakash dead after checking his pulse.
Reportedly, the hospital’s protocol is for patients who are announced dead to be sent to the casualty ward to let the patient’s body cool down for two hours. They called it the “cooling-off” period and was used to see if the patient had a chance of being revived.
However, Dr. Rohekar was seemingly in a hurry and quickly ordered the hospital staff to bring Prakash’s body into the morgue, foregoing the cooling-off period.
To the hospital staff’s surprise, Prakash started breathing. His two porters noticed his stomach moving up and down mere minutes before he was set to be autopsied.
One staff member of the hospital claims that as soon as Dr. Rohekar found out that Prakash was alive, he hurriedly tore up all the documents and records of Prakash’s death pronouncement.
According to Senior Police Inspector Yeshudas Gorde:
“It is a serious case of negligence by the doctor. We were shocked to find patient was alive after he had been declared dead. We have written to the dean of Sion Hospital, asking him to conduct an inquiry and give us the report. Once the report is out, we can take action. The hospital authorities should take action against the person responsible for this incident.”
The Dean of the Lokmanya Tilak General Hospital, Dr Suleman Merchant, issued a statement:
“We have reprimanded the doctor and have told him that in such cases the body must be kept in the casualty ward for a cooling off period of two hours. This doctor is new to the hospital and so isn’t familiar with the procedure.”
Meanwhile, Prakash is recovering in the hospital.
What are your thoughts about this shocking story? Let us know below!