The GMA reality TV talent search show “StarStruck” debuted in 2003. Showbiz hopefuls would often line up for its auditions, in the hopes that they could become the next big stars. Winners of this kind of competition are often expected to stay in their home network as a way to build their career and as a sign of loyalty to the network that gave them their big break.
However, for these “StarStruck” alumni, that’s just not the case. Here are some “StarStruck” grads who decided to transfer to the Kapamilya network:
1. Aljur Abrenica – He is the winner of the fourth season of “StarStruck.” He was given a number of lead roles on the Kapuso network. He is known for being paired with Kris Bernal who was also a fellow “StarStruck” alum. Aljur recently moved to ABS-CBN.
2. Paulo Avelino – Although he was eliminated from “StarStruck: The Next Level,” GMA still signed him and gave him numerous projects. After turning down a role offered by the Kapuso Network, he took part in the ABS-CBN series, “Walang Hanggan.” He then became a leading man to various Kapamilya actresses such as Angeline Quinto, Bea Alonzo, and Maja Salvador.
3. Arci Muñoz – She was eliminated from the third season of the show after she became tangled in alleged issues of cheating. After the reality show, she was given a few “kontrabida” roles on GMA. Her career took a major turn after she starred in ABS-CBN’s remake of the Mexican drama, “Pasion de Amor.”
4. Christine Reyes – She was eliminated quite early in the first season of the reality show. The Kapuso network gave her kontrabida roles post-“StarStruck.” In 2008, she transferred to ABS-CBN where she was cast as the lead in “Eva Fonda.”
5. Sarah Lahbati – She won the title of “Ultimate Female Survivor” in the fifth season of StarStruck. After her victory, she was immediately given major roles. However, in 2013, she announced she was having conflicts with her home network. Later, she was sued by GMA management. In 2015, she surprised viewers by performing on ABS-CBN’s ASAP.
6. Enzo Pineda – He was Sarah’s batch mate and the first runner up in the show’s male division. He has had roles in GMA, but in 2016 he became part of a Star Cinema film, “Extra Service.” Later, he was cast in the ABS-CBN series, “Till I Met You,” alongside Nadine Lustre and James Reid.
7. Megan Young – She is the female first runner-up in the second season of “StarStruck.” After starring in a few Kapuso network projects, she transferred to ABS-CBN in 2007. She was even included in the 2nd season of the celebrity edition of “Pinoy Big Brother.” In 2013, she won the Miss World title. She made a showbiz comeback by returning to her home network.
8. Jesi Corcuera – Jesi did not stay long in showbiz after the competition. However, in 2016 he was seen again on television, but as a transman. He was a housemate in the Kapamilya network’s “Pinoy Big Brother Lucky 7.”
9. Nadine Samonte – She used to be known as the “Afternoon Princess” of GMA due to the success of her teleserye, “Ikaw Sa Puso Ko.” Nadine was quick to get a major role after the reality show. She first tried her luck in TV5, but was later seen in ABS-CBN. The actress is currently on-hiatus from showbiz as she had recently given birth.
10. Prince Stefan – He won the title of “First Prince” in “StarStruck IV: The Next Level.” Prince was given lead roles but later decided to transfer to the Kapamilya network. The handsome leading man then admitted that he was gay. In 2016, he took part in the Kapamilya network’s “Till I Met You.”
11. Jewel Mische – She is the female winner of the fourth season of “StarStruck.” Following her victory, she starred in many Kapuso dramas. Jewel transferred to the Kapamilya network in 2010 and was cast as a protagonist in numerous teleseryes. However, she eventually quit show business.
12. Johan Santos – He was a contestant in “StarStruck 3: The Nationwide Invasion.” Later, he was seen on ABS-CBN as a housemate in “Pinoy Big Brother: Double Up” where he landed in fourth place. He still appears in a number of Kapamilya series such as “The Better Half” and “La Luna Sangre.”
13. Tyron Perez – He was part of the reality show’s first season. In 2010, he got a lead role in ABS-CBN’s “Momay.” Sadly, the young actor committed suicide in his apartment in 2011.
What can you say about these celebrities who decided to leave the Kapuso network and go to work for the competition? Tell us what you think in the comments section below!